Friday, September 14, 2012

I was promised death and all I got was 12 more years of this...(pt. 1)

I have a bit of a gripe.  Something has been running in my mind for the past week and I feel this would be the best avenue to share it: online where no one and everyone has unfiltered access to your most sincere, authentic, crazy ideas and random thoughts.  Here we go.
I’m mad the world hasn’t ended yet. Seriously, why has this not happened yet?
You see internet, as a young lass growing up in the 80s and 90s, I was told that I was going to be a part of the last generation to see what is now known as the “civilized world” because in 2000 the world was going to end.  “We’re in our final days” is what I’d hear from the elders (mom and grandma) and everyone saying that the world would end and Y2K would be the death of the civilized world. Prince, REM and even Will Smith wrote songs about how we should all “party until its 1999” because once the clock struck 12 we were all gonna die in a fiery earthquake…or water or something.  
Picture a first grader sitting in a classroom full of students, all attentively waiting to hear what their teachers had in store for them.  The teacher looks at her class and asks them one by one what they want to do when they grow up…
                                                                  {But I have no future}
What to do when you are promised no future but get one anyway…to be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment